Newby Hall is situated on the banks of the river Ure near Ripon and Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire.
It was once the residence of a branch of the Blackett family. It was purchased by Sir Edward Blackett, 2nd bt. (a descendant of the Hoppyland Blacketts) in the 1690s. He demolished the old manor house which apparently was located nearer to the river. Sir Edward began the building of the main block of Newby Hall which was constructed under the guidance of Sir Christopher Wren. In 1718, shortly before his death, Sir Edward included Newby in the marriage settlement of his 2nd surviving son, John, on John’s marriage that year to Patience Wise. It seems possible that Sir Edward did so through having been displeased at the marriage in 1716 of his heir, Sir Edward Blackett, 3rd bt., to Mary Roberts (nee Jekyll), who was eight years older than Edward, and the widow of a merchant.
Newby Hall was purchased from the Blacketts by Richard Weddell in 1748; external additions were made and it was altered internally, and is a fine example of an Adam house. Newby Hall has remained in the same family since 1748. The present owner is Richard Compton who is descended from William Weddell and also from Elizabeth Blackett, Sir Edward Blackett’s elder sister. It is beautifully located with many interesting features and beautiful gardens.
The Newby Hall website gives much information on the history of the house down to the present day as well as events and opening times. Newby is not far from Ripon Cathedral where a number of Blacketts are buried.
The image above is of the elaborate tomb in Ripon Cathedral of Sir Edward Blackett of Newby Hall, eldest son of Sir William Blackett of Newcastle upon Tyne. Depicted standing at either side of Sir Edward are two of his three wives, Mary Norton and Mary Yorke. Diana, Lady Delaval was his third wife. The Blackett Coat of Arms is displayed between two cherubs at the top. The inscription gives much detail of Sir Edward’s wives and children.
Newby Hall featured as Mansfield Park in the 2007 TV adaptation of Jane Austen’s novel of the same name, which was filmed entirely on location there. Filming also took place there in 2008 for “Robinson Crusoe”, based on the Daniel Defoe classic, starring Sam Neill and Sean Bean.