In 1850 Robert Blackett Charlton, the son of Edward Charlton and Elizabeth Blackett set up a brass foundry in the centre of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The brass foundry was developed by his son of the same name and over the years the company, trading as R. Blackett Charlton Ltd., established a worldwide reputation as a manufacturer of pipes and other engineering products. It moved to its present site in Walker, east of Newcastle, in 1901. The company became a part of the Chieftain Group in 1991, which itself has been part of Redhall Group plc since 2008. R. Blackett Charlton Ltd. continues to trade under its own name however.
Robert Blackett Charlton the younger was the 2nd cousin of William Charlton Blackett (see Blacketts and music.)